The tech publicist secures media coverage of our music tech and technology clients and their products through directly soliciting members of the press, and building relationships with journalists through phone, email, and social media. The publicist works with the tech campaign manager and tech writer/strategist to develop pitch angles and provide everything the media needs to cover rps clients and their products. Using company systems and databases to develop target lists, record progress, and report results to clients is a considerable aspect of the job. Rock paper scissors campaign strategy includes pitching stories to national, regional, and industry newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, blogs, and podcasts, but also securing placement on conference panels, introducing clients to industry contacts, and developing creative promotions through the use of social media, e-books, infographics, video, etc. Outlets we routinely pitch for our tech clients include NY Times, NPR, Billboard, Music Week, Wired, TechCrunch, Hypebot, Fast Company, Inc., Entrepreneur, among thousands of others. The Tech Campaign Manager supervises this position.
Pitching Stories, Securing Media Placement, and other PR Activities (approximately 60%)
- Understand and pitch the media on the significance, context, and details of clients’ campaigns.
- Prepare and send convincing e-blast pitches with press releases prepared by the campaign managers.
- Personally pitch journalists using phone, email, and social media communications. Understand timing and consistent follow-up.
- Meet weekly outreach goals to the press. Meet monthly goals for media placement.
- Schedule interviews for clients with the media.
- PR responsibilities may also include:
- creating social media content.
- pitching business partnerships with other companies
- vetting and securing speaking engagements
Record Keeping and Reporting (approximately 20%)
- Consistently maintain records in database of all outreach, including details of correspondence, media comments, and pitch status.
- Use database to compile contact and email lists and to schedule publicity tasks.
- Keep pitch angle document up to date.
- Compile and send weekly and year-end reports to clients.
Client Relations and Campaign Strategy (approximately 20%)
- Build relationships with tech clients and participate in monthly client strategy calls.
- Prepare agenda, send reminder, and lead monthly strategy meetings with clients.
- Ensure services provided by rps are continuously exceeding client expectations; involve tech campaign manager when necessary.
- Respond to all client communications in a timely, professional, and friendly manner.
- Work closely with tech campaign manager, writer/strategist, other publicists, and occasionally CEO, to produce results and provide exceptional service to clients.
- Complete research projects assigned by the tech campaign manager. Delegate and work with interns as needed to complete projects.
skills and qualifications
- Enthusiasm for and basic knowledge of music, technology, entrepreneurship, and business.
- Enthusiasm for the rock paper scissors, inc. values of innovation, continuous improvement, positivity and interconnectedness.
- Willingness to keep up on best practices and emerging trends in publicity and public relations.
- Ability to cull and convey the most significant musical, technical, business, cultural, and human-interest aspects of active projects.
- Ability to think creatively. Willingness to try new ideas.
- Exceptional skills in written and oral communication.
- Exceptional organizational, research, and time management skills, ability to manage and track multiple projects, hundreds of media contacts, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain and groom strong and trusting relationships with journalists and clients and provide exceptional customer service.
- Ability to cold call media contacts to pitch stories, comfort and competence interacting with clients and journalists over phone and via email.
- Ability to tolerate rejection from journalists and to respond with diplomatic persistence and new, convincing pitches.
- Ability to use proprietary software to send eblasts to media outlets.
- Ability and discipline to consistently handle administrative reporting and updates in a custom-built project management software program.
- Ability to efficiently train and effectively delegate to short-term interns.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, highly collaborative team-based environment.
- Ability to self-motivate, work independently, take initiative, and maintain focus on publicity tasks.
- Proficiency in PC Windows, Microsoft Office, contact database/project management software, Google, slack, network file-sharing.
- B.A. required. Journalism, Media, Communications, English, Music Business, Arts Administration, Marketing majors preferred. Significant years of relevant work experience may be substituted for degree.
type of employment and working conditions
Work is carried out at the rock paper scissors, inc. office, an open-air loft design with partitioned workspaces and a wide variety of music playing. The office is located at 511 W. 4th Street in Bloomington, IN. Nearly 100% of rps clients reside outside of Indiana. This is a desk job, with significant time spent on the computer, phone, skype, and email.
Employment is full-time (40 hours/week) with hours typically worked at the office between 8am – 6pm Monday through Friday. Some flex time is available when necessary. Work standards are high, but the office environment and culture is fun. Travel to two or more conferences a year is expected, but not guaranteed.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefit package includes profit sharing, health and life insurance, paid holidays and vacation time, and a non-matching retirement plan.
Please send cover letter and resume to Jeff Greene, Tech Campaign Manager at email@example.com by Friday, June 14, 2019.